Package Concierge offers retailers tips for deploying BOPIS lockers for back-to-school season
Package Concierge, provider of an automated locker system for "buy online, pickup in-store" packages, has released tips for retailers to improve back-to-school sales and more.
With the Package Concierge system, customers purchase items online and receive a notification and secure authentication code via email and text when their purchase is ready for pickup. Once at the store, consumers scan their code at the locker system to retrieve their items.
Package Concierge has identified five areas of retailer focus for BOPIS:
1. Convenience. Consumers expect a new kind of convenience when shopping, so omnichannel retailers should adopt BOPIS to accommodate changing demands. A recent study shows that two-thirds of shoppers say multiple fulfillment options influence their willingness to complete a purchase.
2. Cost cutting. BOPIS allows consumers and retailers to save shipping fees, while also expediting last mile fulfillment. Avoiding shipping fees was listed as the top reason why customers like BOPIS, so it's critical for retailers to offer a frictionless customer experience that also helps them save money.
3. Vision quest. Retailers need to ensure that customers can view store-level inventory when making an item selection. Shoppers want their merchandise ASAP, and they'll likely consider only those items that are in stock and ready for pickup.
4. Fulfillment. BOPIS doesn't work if retailers don't have a clearly stated fulfillment promise that they can consistently deliver on. Many retailers are meeting the expectation of availability within two hours for items in stock.
5. Security. During the busy back-to-school season, it's crucial that retailers capitalize on increased traffic by providing shoppers with a seamless and pleasant transaction process. Research shows that nearly 80 percent of BOPIS shoppers will make an additional purchase while at the store.
Amazon reportedly has more than 2,000 digital lockers, and it is estimated that by the end of this year, 40 percent of the U.S. population will have access to a Walmart pickup locker. Package Concierge currently has more than 20 million package transactions processed nationwide.