Subway franchisees expanding drive-thru touchscreen deployments
Nov. 15, 2009
NEXTEP SYSTEMS and MRI, a digital signage and self-service hardware manufacturer, have launched a new line of touchscreen drive-thru kiosks for the QSR and fast casual foodservice segments.
The companies developed the second-generation line of drive-thru kiosks after several successful pilot deployments with Subway franchises throughout the United States. Subway franchisee Rob Woodward, who operates locations in Colorado and Nebraska, says increased sales helped the store quickly realize an ROI on the kiosk system:
Investing in drive-thru self-serve technology has helped us increase our sales and differentiate our customer service from the competition. Customers love the easy-to-use and frustration-free self-service ordering experience. In an industry driven by measurable sales and customer satisfaction, the rapid payback we've experience shows that the systems play a significant role in helping out drive-thru operations thrive.
NEXTEP says that several Subway locations are scheduled to integrate the new line of drive-thru kiosks. The company says the solutions' features include:
- A 32-inch, sunlight-readable, interactive touchscreen designed for optimum viewing ability.
- An ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts the screen's brightness level, depending on the brightness of the surroundings.
- A special screen feature called Display Positioning System (DPS) that displays the information right where the driver touches the screen, keeping the interaction at eye level.
- A proximity sensor that detects an approaching vehicle and displays a welcome screen and voice prompt, so the device is ready to accept orders as soon as the car or truck pulls up.
- A barcode scanner and credit-card reader that enable payment as soon as food is ordered.
- A webcam option that allows restaurant staff to view the customer placing the order.
- A thermal-management system, which can be used in all outdoor environments and operates in temperatures from -4 degrees Fahrenheit to 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
Recommended For You